with Heidi Hanna
with Heidi Hanna
Are you feeling stuck in a stress mess, overwhelmed, and overstimulated by the demands of your life? Spread too thin and not prioritizing self-care because you feel like it’s selfish when so many other people need your help? Well, let’s stop for a moment.
How much can we really help others when we’re just scraping by, ourselves? At the end of the day, we’re only really worth as much as we can give, based on the energy we have in the time that we have.
I’m your host, Dr. Heidi Hanna, and in this stress mastery podcast, we’re talking to the experts to find out what they do to use stress as fuel for success and what they do to shift stress in a positive way when they notice it getting out of control.
Because we’re all human, we all get stuck sometimes and we can learn so much from each other when we take an honest look at the patterns that are hurting us and create new patterns that will help us.
So, let’s get ready to master stress together in today’s conversation!
- [1:08] Dr. Hanna welcomes listeners and introduces this week’s guest, her awesome humor buddy and dear friend, Karyn Buxman — TEDx speaker, upcoming Forbes book author, and a neurohumorist!
- [3:37] Karyn dives into her relationship with stress in a truthful and honest manner.
- [5:26] How does Karyn know when stress has gone from the positive driving force it can be, to the negative influence we know we want to avoid?
- [7:15] Heidi and Karyn touch on the importance of protecting our loved ones from our outward stress reactions, as well as the universality of our shared experiences as humans.
- [9:50] Dr. Heidi asks how humor can help protect us from falling into the traps of self-pity and “poor me” competitions, and actually reframe our thought patterns around stress.
- [14:56] After distract and reframe, what shows up to refuel for Karyn?
- [16:37] What is strategic, intentional humor?
- [20:34] Find links and a way into Karyn Buxman’s closed Facebook group for a deeper dive into learning about how to do humor intentionally.
- [23:26] Dr. Hanna asks Karyn what her mantra is and wraps up the show until next week.
Don’t miss out on Karyn Buxman’s special invitation to her closed Facebook group!
If you enjoyed this conversation, please be sure to subscribe to the stress mastery podcast now for exclusive listener gifts and check out the show notes for links, tips, tools, and techniques.
Until next time, please remember that stressing is a blessing, once you know how to use it for good. It gives us the energy and information to fuel positive change if we’re brave enough to look into it, stay open and curious to what it has to teach us and then adjust our patterns in a way that will give us even more capacity to cope. And when we do that together, we increase the energy we have to bring to the time that we have and we’re better together. So please, be good to yourself, and I’ll see you next week.
Mentioned in this episode:
Book: Funny Means Money, by Karyn Buxman
For more information on Dr. Heidi Hanna:
For more information on Dr. Hanna’s guest, Karyn Buxman:
Challenge and Explore With Dr. Shelley Carson
Name it to Tame it with Paul Osincup